The MEDICAL OFFICER IRMCT at International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals: (Deadline 15 November 2022)
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Registry of the United Nations Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (“Mechanism”), the Kigali Field Office. Duties may also include coordination activities with the two branches of the Mechanism – Arusha and The Hague. The incumbent will report to the Head of the Kigali Field Office (“KFO”) and the Registry Officer-in-Charge.
*Appointment of the successful candidate to this position will be subject to budgetary approval.
• Provides medical and psychological care to WISP eligible victims and witnesses; monitoring the treatment provided.
• Maintains nutritional standards to sustain the well-being of eligible victims and witnesses and ensures that HIV positive eligible victims and witnesses adhere to suitable treatment.
• Makes a close follow-up and establishes an active informative dialogue on the required observance of Covid-19 prevention measures by eligible victims and witnesses and Kigali Field Office staff.
• Undertakes day-to-day clinical duties, e.g. walk-in clinic, emergencies.
• Undertakes day-to-day occupational health duties: pre-placement and periodic medical examinations to prepare UN staff for travelling providing immunizations, malaria prophylaxis, travel kits, etc.
• Refers staff to outside specialists as necessary.
• Follows-up with outside specialists.
• Provides health education and health promotion programs.
• Participates in addressing work environment and occupational health issues.
Medico Administrative Duties:
• Monitors the utilization and consumption of medical supplies and consumables, manages the procurement of drugs, medical equipment, consumables and medical supplies in accordance with the UN rules and regulations.
• Ensures availability of supplies and proper functioning of medical and laboratory equipment.
• Prepares distribution roster and ensures that food rations are provided to eligible victims and witnesses in accordance with the food supplement policy.
• Liaises with other medical services and facilities, where required.
• Follows the United Nations established policies and procedures regarding medical clearances, sick leave and medical evacuations/repatriations.
• Participates in drafting and implementation of business continuity and crises preparedness plans for the duty station/mission.
• Deputizes for a more senior Medical Officer during his/her absence.
• Manages and supervises the day-to-day operations of the team of medical support officers at the KFO clinic, including nurses, as well as the operational activities related to the KFO laboratory and medical support operations.
• Ensures appropriate training programs are implemented in order to maintain and develop the medical capabilities (e.g. health education, HIV/AIDS prevention, first aid and CPR).
• Supervise, distribute work to the nurse (s) and other staff of the IRMCT Clinic.
• Performs other related duties as required.
- Professionalism – Knowledge of clinical medicine. Formal training in CPR, HIV-AIDS, Hepatitis B&C, Tuberculosis, Malaria, Diabetes and Cardio-Vascular Diseases. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Ability to work efficiently and independently. Flexible, with the ability to work with limited resources. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Leadership – Serves as a role model that other people want to follow. Empowers others to translate vision into results. Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives. Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support. Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions. Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Advanced University Degree in Medicine, from an accredited University and currently licensed to practice within home country or other national jurisdiction. Valid certification in Advanced Trauma Life support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support OR Pre-hospital trauma life support is desirable. Certification in HIV care or VCCT is desirable. Training in Epidemiology, prevention and control is desirable.
Job – Specific Qualification
A license to practice medicine is required.
Advanced Trauma Life support is required.
Advanced Cardiac Life Support is desirable.
A minimum of (5) five years of progressively responsible experience and practice in general medicine of which at least one year should be in Trauma and Emergency care and two years in Internal Medicine is required.
Experience in relation to witnesses and victims in criminal cases is required.
Experience with victims of sexual and gender-based violence crimes and experience with HIV positive and PTSD patients is desirable.
Previous UN medical system/international medical experience is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable.
There may be a technical test followed by a competency-based interview.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
The appointment is limited to the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals. *Appointment of the successful candidate to this position will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment of the successful candidate on this position will be limited to the initial funding of the post. Extension of the appointment is subject to the extension of the mandate and/or the availability of funds. As the international tribunals are not integrated in the Secretariat, UN Staff Members serve on assignment or secondment from their parent department/office if selected. Appointments of staff members in the United Nations are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General. Staff Members are expected to move periodically to new functions in accordance with established rules and procedures, and may in this context be reassigned by the Secretary-General throughout the Organization based on the changing needs and mandates.
The United Nations is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. The United Nations recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds or disabilities. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities may be provided to support participation in the recruitment process when requested and indicated in the application.
NOTE FOR PREVIOUSLY ROSTERED CANDIDATES
Roster candidates must express their interest and availability for published job openings by submitting an updated PHP and cover letter.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, United Nations staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the United Nations in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
122 total views, 1 views today